BasedOn is a brand strategy and identity design studio. We design living identities based on principles of human expression and meaning. Our work is based on truth and beauty. We are explorers of the world, helping our clients to transform fundamental truths into engaging and motivating ideas that incite action, unite community and inspire change.
Our clients come to us to focus and clarify their story—to elevate their visual and verbal expressions. Our work provides them with a deeper understanding of who they are, how they are different and why they matter, enabling them to engage in a more meaningful way with their audiences.
At BasedOn, strategy is the backbone that continuously drives innovation and new creative approaches for our work. We don't use formulas. We don't rely on the same frameworks. Instead, we create custom solutions for each client and use every project as an opportunity to refine and expand on our own approach.
As a result, we are looking for a candidate who thrives in ambiguous environments. Someone who can create clear solutions for complex business problems and guide internal teams towards a shared vision. This person will empower the whole studio to think creatively.
The Strategy Director will be responsible for:
- Leading the strategic direction of multiple work streams simultaneously with little to no oversight.
- Providing a strong point of view on recommended deliverables, scope and timelines for new business development.
- Defining clear project objectives and a project road map for how to uncover insights and deliver a final strategic brief.
- Becoming a thought leader and an extension of the client team with the ability to think outside the box to discover the best solutions.
- Developing strong client relationships with confidence in working with C-Suite clients.
- Identifying and translating high-caliber insights into creative briefs for designers and writers, resulting in an end deliverable that is authentic, relevant and remarkable.
- Defining the narrative framework that focuses and clarifies our client's brand story using principles of storytelling and human behavior.
- Collaborating with all teams to generate creative ideas and principles that inspire and guide visual and verbal elements.
- Educating our clients on how to build and manage brand equity.
- Leading, structuring and facilitating brand research and creative work sessions.
We look for diverse and unique backgrounds to constantly apply fresh thinking and new ideas to age-old and unique challenges that we're tasked to solve. The Strategy Director is neither left-brain or right-brain dominant, with thoughts moving seamlessly between the analytical and the creative mind. This candidate possesses an innate curiosity about the world around them and a passion for creative problem solving and creative expression. This is someone who can embrace the unknown and is comfortable with change and the continual evolution of processes and various approaches.
Desired skills and experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Advertising, Design, Writing, Business or similar.
- At least 8+ years of experience in branding, marketing, design, creative writing, market research or similar applicable role (or insanely advanced instincts and brand knowledge).
- Professional experiences across brand strategy, innovation strategy, brand architecture, messaging strategy, ecosystem strategy, creative strategy, social strategy, channel planning, market research and insights, campaign communications, content development and digital media.
- Possesses a passion for understanding how brands work and the role they play in people's lives. Asks, “what if” and “why?” Never stops learning or improving. Not afraid to create and use unexpected approaches and methodologies to uncover meaningful and unexpected insights.
- Demonstrates extremely high communication, presentation, strategic and creative writing skills.
- Collaborates easily with others, both inspiring and building on others' thinking.
Lives and exemplifies our studio beliefs and values, including:
- Depth: Possesses an innate curiosity and desire to understand. Takes the initiative to learn as much as they can through formal and informal channels about our client's industry and audience. Not afraid to go out in the world, ask questions, engage and be creative to uncover insights.
- Simplicity: Translates large volumes of information into clear and actionable strategies and ideas. Provides focus and clarity to our work and ensures that everyone is working towards the same end goal.
- Synergy: Works in harmony with others, inspiring and guiding the collective team to deliver authentic, relevant and remarkable visual and verbal identities. Understands the role of brand equity and identity in business and actively works toward delivering an end product that is meaningful and useful for our clients.
- Flux: Is able to adapt easily to tackle new challenges and embrace opportunities. Works collaboratively with other strategists and team members to continuously reevaluate and refine their approach, sharing learning and developing new tools and approaches as needed.